Corporate Etiquette Master Class
Johannesburg: 6-7 July 2017
Durbanville, Cape Town: 7-8 August 2017
Durban North: 24-25 August 2017
Port Elizabeth: 7-8 September 2017
Bloemfontein: 20-21 July 2017
Single: R5,200.00 (R5,928.00 incl. VAT)
Group Booking of 3-5 delegates: R4,750.00 (R5,415.00 incl. VAT) per delegate
In-House Training sessions: available on request – send an e-mail with specifications to email@example.com
This workshop covers a wide range of conventions, rules, customs and expectations that professional communicators must master in order to interact professionally with people in various levels in the business world. It aims to develop the concept of business etiquette and professionalism and the proper etiquette practices for different business scenarios. It also addresses official protocol and business etiquette challenges when doing business in multi-cultural environments globally. In particular, we will look at professional business behaviours in France, Brazil, Japan and India.
If you think good etiquette is reserved for the aristocracy, think again. Poor business etiquette and lack of professionalism can cause serious offences. In a working environment, it may mean a loss of business. By etiquette we are not just talking about which fork to use at dinner. It involves knowing how to behave in social situations and business meetings, dressing appropriately, being sensitive to cultural differences and watching what you put in emails. Maintaining good business etiquette is vital to your career. Good business etiquette is about presenting yourself in a way that makes your clients and colleagues take you seriously. It is about being comfortable around people and making others feel comfortable around you.
In today’s competitive and uncertain times, employees need to learn to quickly adapt, integrate and succeed in diverse work environments and that means that corporate etiquette is more important than ever.
LEARNING OBJECTIVES AND OUTCOMES
Delegates will gain insight into best practice principles of what business etiquette and professionalism in the workplace is all about.
By the end of this workshop, delegates will be able to:
- Deal with smooth, proper, professional and culturally sensitive interactions with people at different levels
- Understand the universal principles of etiquette, professionalism, courtesy and manners
- Define etiquette and understand how etiquette can be of value to a company or organisation
- Make a good and professional impression and avoid causing offence or embarrassment in high profile situations
- Identify and understand the need for maintaining your own personal brand
- Interact smoothly with various cultures and nations
- Create a professional appearance
- Communicate professionally
- Effectively deal with time management and effect of time wasters
- Make effective introductions and know the rules of giving a handshake
- Dealing with etiquette for business meals and external corporate functions
- Understand the protocol in ordering in a restaurant, handling alcohol in a business meal, paying the bill and tipping
- Know the guidelines and importance of correct grammar and spelling when writing e-mails and business letters
- Understand etiquette around using the telephone, voicemail, cell phone and social media in the workplace
The Power of Professionalism
- Principles of exceptional workplace behaviour
- The role of good manners in business
- What is etiquette?
- How does etiquette benefit you?
Creating an Ethical Compass
- The challenge of business ethics
- Business ethics advantages
- Ethical issues
The importance of professional business behaviour
- Building better business relationships
- Presenting a positive image
- Why work relationships are so important
Creating a Positive Image
- Professional appearance: wardrobe and grooming
- Body language
Greeting, Introductions and First Impressions
- Greeting components
- Protocol of shaking hands
- Introductory scenarios
Corporate Culture: Expectations
Are you really judged by how you look?
- How professional do you look?
- Are you dressed for SUCCESS?
- Specifics on neatness and cleanliness
- Shoe issues and jewellery
- What does the expression on your face say?
Dressing for success
- Effectively handling dress code issues
- Fashion and function: Clothing that works
- The specifics of business dress
- Business casual
- Tips for men and women
- Business formal wear
Sexual Harassment and how to prevent it
Formal dining: The fine art of sitting down
Business dining tips
- The mission of the meal
- When to pay
- The top five things you need to know
Moving from self-conscious to self-aware
Meeting and Board Room Protocol
- The formula that never fails
- What to avoid
- Good topics
- The fine art of saying goodbye
PRINCIPLES OF EXCEPTIONAL WORK ETIQUETTE AND BEHAVIOUR
The role of good manners in business
Benefits of exhibiting a positive ATTITUDE
Get to know the work culture
- Unique sets of norms
- Know the organisational values, philosophy of conducting business, work ethics, etc.
- How and when do effective people communicate in the organisation?
- Saying and doing the right things
- The fine art of being liked: Listening and learning
- Keeping in touch: Setting the standard for corporate communications
- Importance of correct business writing and grammar in letters and e-mail correspondence
Living with silence: The fine art of shutting up
Managing your mouth
- Understanding your natural reactions
- Don’t say the wrong things
- Reducing sarcasm
- How to turn negative comments into positive reinforcement
- Accepting the shortcomings of your co-workers
- Stay professional at all times
- What makes people really angry
- Handling phone calls when someone’s in your office
- Cell phone tips
- Handling rude or impatient callers
Email etiquette and Netiquette
- Internet usage in the workplace
- How confidential is the internet?
- Social media and the workplace
Are you rude?
- What is considered rude?
- Rudeness creates long-term problems
- Can you control your rudeness?
- Being rude to customers
Global Business Etiquette
- How much do you really know about global business etiquette?
- Why are global etiquette and cultural differences important?
Looking at business etiquette, appearance, cultural trends, communication, greeting behaviour, gift giving and dining and working practices in the following countries,
- Arabian countries
Etiquette can be the difference between success and failure
- Prevent behaviour from reducing the impact of talent and skill
- Reduce unprofessional conduct in meetings
- Create a culture of courtesy and professionalism
- Build better business relationships with your prospects and customers
- Build better relationships internally
- Set guidelines for appropriate business dress
Being the Best vs. Being Superb
- The truth about trust
- Managing expectations and emotions
- Giving people what they need: care, value and prestige
- Does your approach match your skill?
Building better business relationships
- Effective relationships between managers and employees
- Professionally greeting people you know
Time Management and Time Wasters
- The business of getting down to business: managing distractions
The ten most common etiquette mistakes
The history of diversity: Divided we stand
Men are from Mars
- Do men and women think differently?
- Direct and indirect communication
- Interruptions: Women don’t care about your diagnosis
Effective business conduct
- Knowing what to say and when to say it
- Conversations that get you in trouble
- How to make business etiquette part of your department’s duties