Business English for Second Language Speakers
Midrand, Johannesburg: Contact Office for new date
Durbanville, Cape Town: 7-8 May 2020
Durban North: 11-12 June 2020
* * Early bird discount less 15% and group booking discount less 20% p/p off the normal fee available until 18 February 2020 – see details below. * *
Course Fee: R5,900.00 (R6,785.00 incl. VAT) per delegate.
Early bird fee less 15% (R885.00) per delegate = R5,015.00 (R5,767.25.00 incl. VAT) per delegate for all new registrations received and paid by 18 February 2020.
Group booking for 3-5 delegates less 20% (R1,180.00) per delegate = R4,720.00 (R5,428.00 incl. VAT) per delegate for all new registrations received and paid by 18 February 2020. T&Cs apply.
For groups more than five people, please send your requirements to Ronell at firstname.lastname@example.org
For in-house group bookings and other enquiries, please e-mail email@example.com or contact Charlotte: 011: 902 0720 / Ronell : 073 291 0450
This two-day workshop has been developed specifically for second language speakers in the workplace and others who wish to improve their spoken and written English for work, business, studies or personal development.
During the workshop, the facilitator will introduce vocabulary and functional language which will be presented in a realistic context and reviewed with the aim of it becoming a natural part of the delegates’ verbal and written communication.
Most corporate companies are part of the global market which means having globally literate staff. This means companies have to ensure that staff members are capable of meeting the challenges of conducting business in all forms of communication: written, verbal or non-verbal. This workshop aims to develop the skills and abilities of staff at all levels in your organisation to ensure that you stay ahead in the market your company operates in.
This course further aims to enhance employees’ English communication skills that can be applied to real workplace situations. Delegates will develop better negotiation skills and conflict handling skills through better communication and will be able to develop a better cross-cultural understanding and the ability to adapt to different work situations.
Effective communication strengthens the connections between a company and all of its stakeholders and benefits businesses in many ways
After completion of this course, delegates will be able to be more efficient in:
- decision making and faster problem solving techniques
- increased productivity and better workflow
- handling effective business relationships
- communicating more effectively with prospective clients and customers
- writing professional business letters and emails
- enhancing the professional images for both employees and companies
Core language skills
In order to use English effectively in the business world, people need to strengthen their core language skills, i.e. speaking, reading, listening and writing. In this session, the following core skills will be brought home to delegates via interactive learning, exercises and repetition:
- Pronunciation, clarity and coherence in speech
- Comprehension in reading
- Organisation, task achievement and coherence in writing
- Separating the gist from detail in a listening task
- Social English and Etiquette
- Corporate culture
- Managing People
- Verbal and non-verbal communication skills
- Problem-solving and decision-making skills
- Understanding body language as part of communication
- Learn standard phrases for telephone conversations
- Interpreting the caller’s tone
- Paraphrasing for confirmation
- Using intonation to reinforce message
Active Listening Skills
- Elements of listening skills
- Difference between hearing and listening
- Verbal and non-verbal signs
- 10 principles of active listening
- Understanding negotiations
- Three phases of negotiations
- Skills / Characteristics for successful negotiations
- Using appropriate tone
- Write perfect subject lines and text
- Clean up e-mails before forwarding them
Business Letters and Report Writing
- Common English phrases to use in letters and reports
- Writing a coherent report in English
- Presenting with confidence in English
- Tone of voice
- Good enunciation